UNIX is one of the most preferred operating system due to its uptime compared to Windows or any other software. UNIX was developed in the 1970s and has continuously been developed over the years and therefore has been very successful. Its success comes from its flexibility as it can be used by a wide range of computer hardware. Its performance is better than other popular operating systems and its said to be the most secure of them all. UNIX is also stable as it does not go down as other operation systems do. This is why UNIX has been largely successful, this continuous use and diversity has led to a wide range of uses and here are Five brilliant ways to use UNIX.
1. Hosting websites- Due to its stability and uptime, UNIX is the most preferred platform for web hosting services. UNIX is also compatible with other operating systems such as windows which use the UNIX based programming features like PHP and MySQL, therefore, giving the UNIX based web hosting software an upper hand.
2. Developing programs to run on other operating systems- UNIX’s compatibility with a lot of other operating systems is its most brilliant feature and has attributed to its long term survival. Programs written for UNIX can be run on Windows.
3. Developing applications for Android- Android is the most used software in smartphones. Android itself is largely based on UNIX and it actually uses its kernel features. This makes using UNIX to program for Android a better choice.
4. Hacking and security testing- UNIX is the most preferred by hackers as it allows you to look into the code, change the configuration files and can even therefore destroy the system if you want to. This freedom to explore the codes and ability to modify the codes makes UNIX a priceless platform for hackers. Data Recovery professionals and even digital forensic examiners. This also makes security tests easier and ease to mend loopholes in the system.
5. Film production- Approximately, UNIX is used on about 80% of all servers. This is due to its stability and performance. About 95% of all animation film productions are done on LINUX servers which have been developed from UNIX. It's also because it can handle more work and is secure than other servers based on other operating systems. This is also because of the ability to customize it.
UNIX definitely has some of the most brilliant uses of all operating systems as it also used in a home theatre PC [HTPC] which is through LINUX. It also has many specialised uses due to its flexible, customizable feature, and its free and open source nature. This attributes diverse its range of use, therefore, making it one of the most preferred and used operating systems.